It’s one thing to hear and recognize God’s voice; but it’s another thing altogether to respond to His voice and actually follow His leading. (John 10:27; Heb.3:7-11,15; 4:7). Why bother calling Him ‘Lord’…if we are not going to do what He says? (Luke 6:46).
Now I don’t want to come across sounding like I’m suggesting that hearing audible voices in our heads is supposed to be some daily, ongoing experience in our walk of faith; but I’m not going to say that doesn’t or can’t happen either. Both Enoch and Noah had such a testimony that “they walked with God”. I just know I’m not at ‘that place’ yet, myself, but I sure hear Him a lot more these days than what I did in previous years. Some people will stop talking to you when you don’t appear to be listening. Hello?
But this idea that we can truly be ‘led by God’s Spirit’ is very attainable for anyone who claims or desires to be a ‘follower’ of Jesus. And yes, I have some very definable moments where I know that I know that I know…that I ‘heard God speak’ to me. Please don’t think for a moment I would’ve uprooted from Texas and moved here to California on a whim! But more often than not, it is the ‘peace of God’ that serves as His directive guidance in our lives. It’s a ‘knowing’ that you learn to develop over time, oftentimes by ‘trial and error’. Wanna see my scars?
And I would agree…it is a fair question to ask ‘how can I know for sure’? That’s a question we all should want to ask and be assured of, especially in these days we are living. Now this might not be the best example to use, but I’m sure we can all relate to it. Your young adolescent child comes to you and asks: “How will I know when I’m ‘in love’, or ‘have a crush’ on someone? Your response is most likely going to be a sweet smile, followed by the reassuring phrase of: “Oh, you will know.”
The same could be said about recognizing the ‘peace of God’; I mean after all…if this peace is described as ‘surpassing understanding’ (Phil. 4:7)…then one might also conclude it is hard to explain using words, but you'll ‘know it’ when you experience it. Take for example, an incident that occurred when Jesus and His disciples got in a boat to cross over the Sea of Galilee. We read about it in Mark’s gospel, (4:35-41)
Jesus actually took a nap during the crossing when a ‘great windstorm arose and the waves beat into the boat so that it was already filling’ (37). It appears the group collectively opted to wake Jesus up, expressing fears they were all about to perish (38). Then, ‘Jesus arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still.” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.” (39). I believe He then had their undivided attention.
You might call this incident a great ‘teaching moment’, not only for those disciples, but for us modern day believers as well. When God steps in to the turbulent storms of our lives, there is no mistaking the fact that He as ‘arrived on the scene’, and the first witness of His presence…is ‘peace’. And even when you think He is ‘sleeping’…rest assure…He hears our cries. But one thing we should note is this -during those times, it’s not our advice and counsel God needs, it’s our undivided attention and surrendered heart; because if He doesn’t have that…calming the storms will only be a temporary ‘fix’ for us; and our inability (or unwillingness) to surrender and follow Him will only lead to more turbulent storms (Matt. 12:43-45). In other words…praying the ‘right thing’ goes a long way in seeing dramatic results when calling upon the Lord.
I’ve shared this story before, but when the boys were born nearly five years ago, after spending a few days here with them…I had to catch an early flight home and get back to work. My head/heart were all over the place that morning, torn over having to leave them ...but a full and pressing work schedule was awaiting me the next day back in Texas. And somehow…I ended up taking my Uber ride to the wrong airport. (Think in terms of Love Field in Dallas and DFW in Irving, but add 15 miles and it being a Monday morning during rush hour.)
When my boarding pass was rejected at the TSA check-in at SFO, I was stunned and in disbelief when the attendant informed me I was scheduled to be flying out of San Jose, Not…San Francisco. I remember getting out of the line and was tempted to start hyperventilating. I was not at ‘panic stage’ …yet…but I remember in my state of shock and bewilderment…that passage from Philippians 4:6-7 just ‘dropped in my consciousness’. That’s the verse that exhorts us to “be anxious for nothing…but in everything by prayer…make your request known to God; and the peace of God…which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
The dilemma I faced was overwhelming to me…and I was at a loss as to what to do, given I had barely over an hour before my flight took off out of San Jose; and I needed to be on that plane! As I walked towards the exit of the terminal, I remember stopping in my tracks to respond to that ‘word’ and I audibly whispered to God….”Okay Lord…in this moment…I choose peace.” And what I was saying to God was this: “I don’t know how this is going to play out but I can trust you regardless of what happens.” And as I took a deep breath, knowing I had committed this predicament to God…I had a peace wash over me, my mind was clear and I was now walking in/under that ‘shadow of the Almighty’, the one we read about in Psalms 91.
I ‘pinged’ for another Uber, made my way through a maze of corridors and stairwells to find a new ride waiting for me. I explained to the driver my situation and all he asked was: “Do you mind if I drive fast?” The next thing you know we are sailing down the 101 that had little traffic for some unknown reason and what seemed like a dream…before I knew it I was walking through security at SJC to my gate where they had just started the boarding process.
Now I understand that while this was a pressing and urgent ‘need’ for me to have resolved, there are far more pressing issues and crisis’s that many others are facing, even at this moment. This is not a matter of wanting to ‘compare’ which dilemma is more serious and in need of being resolved; rather it is a lesson for us all to be reminded that when we find ourselves needing God to arrive on the scene and to ‘save the day’…the first and foremost ‘need’ we have is to cry out for peace. I know…it never ends well when a husband tries to tell his distraught wife to ‘calm down’; but friends…that is basically what God is trying to convey to us, more often than you might dare to realize or acknowledge. And until we do ‘calm down’…and enter in or on to this ‘pathway of peace’ (Luke 1:79)…we are only delaying the inevitable.
There’s a reason why we are exhorted to: “Be still…and know that He is God.” (Ps. 46:10). It’s our inborn tendency to let other things drive us, like fear or anxiety or worry or anger, etc., instead of the One who knows best what we need to resolve whatever crisis we are facing. Remember, it’s ‘perfect peace’ that God keeps us in if/when our minds are ‘fixed on Him’ (Isa. 26:3). More tomorrow…Lord willing.

Comments
Post a Comment