“….I’m so glad that Jesus set me free…singing ‘glory halleluiah…Jesus set me free!”

We ‘believers’ do a pretty impressive job singing about how Jesus ‘set us free’; but walking in that ‘freedom’…meh…not so much. And that’s by our own admission.

I’m not here to point the finger of blame at anyone for this confusing contradiction, but I have a pretty good feeling that if Moses was to walk in to most churches today, we might hear him repeat a familiar phrase of the past, when he stood before Pharaoh and spoke on God’s behalf, declaring: “Let My people go!” (Ex. 5:1). But this time he’d be speaking to the preachers behind the pulpits.

And when Moses stood before the Pharaoh like that back then, that would not be the last time God would express displeasure towards leaders that kept His people in bondage. The prophet Jeremiah recorded these words of warning: “Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture!”, says the Lord…(Jer. 23:1-2). You really should spend some time combing through that whole chapter.

I’ll give you three guesses (first two don’t count) as to who Jesus was always butting heads with and expressing His displeasure towards, calling them ‘hypocrites’ and ‘vipers’, even accusing them of making new converts a ‘two-fold child of hell’ (Matt. 23). Yep, the religious leaders of that day.

Care to identify what ‘controversy’ God might have with those who ‘aspire to be teachers, and who will face a harsher judgment’ (James 3:1)? It’s the constant theme propagated from pulpits everywhere that despite all that God did by offering up His own beloved Son on the cross…God’s people will ‘remain sinners’, and therefore...'slaves'.

Oh, we are quick to add on that nice ‘clause’ of ‘saved by grace’ to that part about ‘being sinners’; but there’s just one major flaw with all those find sounding words - Jesus said ‘most assuredly’ that “whoever commits sin is a slave to sin”, then adding: “and a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son/child does.” (John 8:34-35)

I mentioned in yesterday’s message that whenever the subject of ‘sin’ comes up among us professing believers, I guarantee you that someone will always be quick to pop up with this statement of “But everybody sins and no one is perfect”. Or what about that line how “nobody can live a sinless life!”? Maybe you have the bumper sticker that says: “Christians aren’t perfect, just forgiven”. How convenient, right? Isn’t that like taking your car into a mechanic because it has an obnoxious problem of backfiring on a regular basis…so after you pay the costly repair bill... the mechanic thanks you while pointing out that your car will continue to backfire…because that’s what cars do!? In what universe are you going to be satisfied with that line of thinking?

Paul, in his letter to the Romans…asked: ”HOW…shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?” (6:2). He then goes on in the chapter pointing out how we once WERE… slaves of sin, but then he thanks God that we no longer are, because we were ‘set free from sin’ (6:15-23).

Yes, there is a reason I continue to repeat some things here because it can be quite the challenge to have to ‘unlearn’ falsehoods before truth can ever find a way in to our thick heads and hardened hearts. Sin does that, you know…it ‘hardens us’ (Heb. 3:12-13).

So…about that ‘outline’ I promised you yesterday. If you were to summarize the main theme or ‘gist’ of what all my writings have centered around these past five years, they could easily be found woven into this simple outline that covers the three specific areas that I have been compelled and directed to spend time studying. I refer to these three specific areas as the missing ‘steel rebar’ that should …have been a part of our foundational teachings when first coming to Christ.

I actually think that if a ‘non-believer was to take the time to examine what scripture has to say about the condition of this world…and our ‘defiled hearts’, that they too might be more inclined to ‘hear more’. The problem is…few if any…are hearing this taught, at least in most places here in this country. Friends, there is more to this gospel than just exhorting people to ‘accept Christ as your personal savior so you can have a wonderful life while you join a local church group and help make America great again’. Oh, and let’s not forget the ‘golden ticket’ we promise them that guarantees they go to heaven when they die.

I really don’t mean to sound judgmental or cynical here, but I just cannot convey the pressing sense of urgency I feel in having to continue ‘beating this drum’ with the hopes we might be ‘awoken’ from our slumber, which is what happened to all ‘ten virgins’ who 'fell asleep' in that parable found in Matt. 25, the virgins being a ‘type’ of the church.

I offer up to you a simple diagram today (posted image) that might help you see through the set of lenses I am teaching through these days; and these three main areas of study focus on - 1) The Law. 2) The Flesh (old man sin nature) and 3) The Devil. And I would submit to you that it is our lack of understanding in these three areas that could be the very reason many sincere people in our churches today are hurting, and struggling, and yes…even being ‘destroyed due to a lack of knowledge’. (Hosea 4:6)

Oh, you say God doesn’t work like that anymore? Then explain why Paul had to point out why people were ‘sick, weak, and dying’ back in that church at Corinth? (1 Cor. 11:30-32).

I would have to say that I’ve been pretty consistent with my ‘theme’ of teaching these past five years. I’m sure some folks have grown tired of it, others have wished, even ‘suggesting’ that I move on to other topics they would like me to address; but I can only give what He has given me (Acts 3:6).

I am always open for questions and discussion, but I’m not interested in endless debates while trying to ‘prove my point’ here. All I can do is lay out scripture for you to study on your own and let the Holy Spirit confirm these things to you. I make no claims to be a trained or scholarly theologian. I tend to liken myself and my experience with those who were given ‘boldness’ despite being ‘uneducated and untrained’...because they 'had been with Jesus'  (Acts 4:13). All that to say …if you are looking for some new or different teaching, I’m gonna stick with my part here, until directed elsewhere by the Holy Spirit.

For the life of me, I have a faint memory of some generic scene in a movie where all the ‘expert’ adults are frantically trying to solve some serious and pressing problem they find themselves in, but are stumped. And yet a young child in the scene keeps trying to tug on various people’s pants leg who wants to point out what he is seeing, but nobody is giving him the time of day. And what he is seeing holds the key to the answer they are looking for. I know…sounds silly…but that is my story these days…and I really believe what I am sharing here is worth taking a second look at, if you’d care to join me…again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog