It is a telling statement and quite an interesting admission that so many of us have made at one time or another regarding our relationship or ‘walk’ with God. It usually sounds something like this: “I know I’m not where I need to be.”
I. Know. I. Am. Not. Where. I. Need. To. Be.
Here’s a question worth giving serious thought to:
Why?
No, no...no...go back, read that question again and pause.
Discovering the answer to that three-letter question could be quite life changing for you. I mean it.
Many years ago, someone gave me a wood plaque carving that was about 8” by 8”. On it was a little mouse with a stick over his shoulder and presumably his belongings tied up at the end of it in a small bundle. The wording on the plaque read: “If you don’t feel close to God, Guess who moved?!”
Now while our walk with God has so much more to do than having ‘good feelings’, there is much truth wrapped up in that quote. And again, while our walk is more about ‘faith than sight’, let me assure you, when we are abiding in Him...you know it. I mean, there is such an awareness of His presence and peace, and His voice is so much clearer. When you are abiding in Him, you are also so much more sensitive and aware of ‘sin’...or anything...that is not of Him.
I liken this condition to what you experience if/when you have ever bought a brand new car and in those early days, someone drops a french-fry on the floor board, or spills a few drops of their drink on the seat. Now, compare your reaction several years after owning that car. You probably don’t even notice the crumbs or lost fries because they blend in or are buried amidst the other ‘trash’ that has built up over time. Hence, the comparison of “I really need to get this car detailed in a bad way” and...”I know I am not where I need to be with God”.
We know, ... and we put it off and off....and off...growing accustomed to the slow build up...of sin. That is probably what the writer of Hebrews was thinking when he warned about the deceptiveness of sin and its effect on hardening our hearts. (3:12-13). It’s part of a common mindset we develop over time...you know...”God is ‘ok’ with a little sin’, He just won’t tolerate all those ‘big sins’ that ‘old so and so’ is doing.” Twice, we read in the NT the analogy of what a little leaven does to the whole loaf. (1 Cor. 5:6; Gal. 5:9)
You can disagree with me on this, but I have a hunch that so many sincere, professing believers today have simply grown quite accustomed and even comfortable...walking apart from God (as in not abiding in Him) yet...don’t feel like they are in any danger or even in a bad place. They tell themselves they are ‘saved’ after all, and if things do start getting bad, weather-wise, well, they know where the ark is and can always run back to it.
It would seem that the writings of the NT fathers suggested that in the days leading up to the return of Christ, the condition of the so-called ‘church’ would be one of either ‘fallen away’ (2 Thess. 2:3) or ‘fallen asleep’ (Matt. 25:1-11)
The prophet Amos uttered warning to those who had ‘grown at ease in Zion’. (6:1). And look at what God spoke through Zephaniah in that first chapter regarding the ‘great Day of the Lord’ where we read “And it shall come to pass at the last time I will search Jerusalem with lamps and punish the men who are settled in complacency, who say in their heart, ‘The Lord will not do good nor will He do evil.” (12). You might just read the rest of the chapter if you get a moment.
When Jesus said that He ‘was the Door’, I don’t get the impression He meant a ‘revolving’ door. ( John 10:7) Yet how easy it is to think in those terms where we can ‘abide in Him’ when it is convenient or when we feel like it, but it’s not that big a deal, or even ‘required’ so if we develop a pattern of ‘running in and out’, God is fine with that and understands.
Let’s examine three possible reasons as to why we are ‘not where we need to be’. I would suggest that we have: 1- ended up loving something else more...than Him. 2- We’ve been misled or deceived into thinking that all is well with our soul even IF...we are not abiding in Him since we ‘gave our heart to Jesus when we were seven years old’. Or 3- we just decided we love the darkness more than the light and don’t want anything to do with Him anymore. It happens more than you might suspect... (John 3:18-20; John 6:66; 2 Tim. 4:10)
In other words, our hearts have become divided, or deceived, or simply...departed. (I’m not one to usually make three point messages all starting with the same letter but it seems to work here. Go figure.)
I’m going to cut it short here today, (shorter than normal) and I need to give more thought to something I saw earlier in the word regarding God’s assessment of mankind that ‘there is no fear of God before their eyes’. (Rom. 3:18). This would explain why ‘the way of peace we have not known’. (Ro. 3:17)
And yet...God...(who never changes Mal. 3:6) made this declaration: “Oh...that they had such a heart in them that they would fear Me, and always keep all My commandments, that it might be well with them and their children forever.” (Deut. 5:29)
“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge”. (Prov. 1:7)
“My people are destroyed...for a lack of knowledge.” (Hosea 4:6)
“Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.” (Ps.34:11)
Perhaps we will explore this further tomorrow...Lord willing. Be blessed.

Comments
Post a Comment