I don’t drive across country for a living....but I’ve had my share of road trips. Who hasn’t made a trek across state lines before, driving where you’ve never been, and after a while you have this subtle yet gnawing sense...that you might not be on the right road. Perhaps you missed an exit or just need a mile marker of sorts to confirm that you are indeed heading in the right direction. I’m guessing most of us have experienced that before.
I will also admit discovering I missed a turn somewhere use to be an intense trigger of irritation for me. I HATE having to ‘backtrack’... talk about a waste of time! But such is life. We get distracted...preoccupied and we miss hearing that ‘soft, quiet voice’ that says ‘go this way’ and in turn, we go another.
Perhaps that is why our bibles our FULL of repeated warnings that we ‘take heed’ and ‘be not deceived’....’lest we drift’, etc. I closed out yesterday’s post with Paul’s admonition for us to ‘examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith and if indeed Christ Jesus is in us.” (2 Cor. 13:5). He hints that we could indeed ‘fail the test’. You try and share that today with a church congregation and people will take offense that you would dare suggest someone might ‘not be in the faith’.
Jesus Himself warned that if we were not careful, that even the ‘very elect’ could get off track and deceived or led astray. (Matt. 24:24). I mean, even God was the one who likens us to ignorant sheep who always go astray. (yes, I have verses to prove that as well)
There is this little ‘two-letter’ word that pops up all the time in my bible. That word is ‘if’. That word, for as little as it is, can sure swing a conversation and train of thought in a dramatic way. For example, Paul writes to the Colossians telling them how Jesus plans to ‘present us holy and blameless and above reproach in His sight....IF....indeed we continue in the faith’. (1:22-23). And all the debate that goes on as to whether we are under the law or not, also is hinged on that two-letter word there in Gal. 5:18 where we are told that “IF...you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.” Sooo...if we are not being led by the Spirit...what might that imply?
And if being ‘under the law’ brings with it...condemnation, curses, judgment and even death, it might be a good idea to make sure we are indeed being led by His Spirit. Can I just give a little heads up of warning here that for many folks today, the very reason they are suffering and experiencing so much trial and tribulation is related to the fact they are not being led by God’s spirit despite all and any ‘religious activity they may be involved in? I mean...I bet that guy in Matt. 7:21-23 thought he was sailing along in God just fine until he heard otherwise. And were the Pharisees not convinced they had the ’truth’…yet could not even recognize the One they taught was coming to deliver them?
Now you might want to say that ‘God doesn’t work that way anymore’ or ‘we don’t get punished if we mess up’. Well...you may believe that strongly but why would Paul tell us in 1 Cor. 11: 28 that a man better ‘examine himself’ going on to teach that partaking of this covenant meal in an unworthy manner brings ‘judgement to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body.’ And get this next verse: “For this reason, many...are weak and sick among you and many sleep (died). For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.”(31-32). I know...that doesn’t ‘fit’ with a lot of people’s doctrines...but it’s there and all I know to do is point it out.
Which leads me to another ‘if’ statement. I closed out yesterday’s post with it...found in Romans 8. I guess depending on how you read this, Paul is being subtle or not so subtle when he suggests that “IF indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you’...and ‘IF Christ is in you” and “IF the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you...” (9-11).
I mean...three times in a row...boom-boom-boom...IF...the Spirit is IN you. So how do we know if the Spirit is In us? Are there any ‘mile markers’ that might confirm or assure us?
Ha...I see all my Pentecostal and Charismatic friends grinning and waving their hands wanting to make the case that ‘speaking in tongues’ (like disciples did on the day of Pentecost) is the sign. (There are other passages in Acts that make this case as well). I won’t contest that and do believe there is some validity to that. But...let’s not forget Paul tempering that idea there in-between his chapters talking about spiritual gifts and such, he reminds us that you can speak in tongues of men and angels all day long....but if you don’t have this God kind of love being manifested in you, then you are about as impressive as banging a bunch of pots and pans together (Paul mentions cymbals) ( 1 Cor. 13:1)
I will say there is some very clear indicators outlined in scripture that indeed can confirm whether the ‘spirit’ is in you and genuine. But I also want to refer you first to that passage I cite often from 2 Cor. 11 where Paul warned that we could be duped as Eve was by the serpent and end up following another gospel and another Jesus and....’receive a different spirit’. (vs. 4). Yep...go read that last one again.
The very first chapter of John’s gospel tells us that Jesus came to His own, but His own did not receive Him. (11) BUT...”as many as did receive Him, to them He gave the right/power to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.” (12) Now here is where this message gets hijacked - we tell people they just ‘have to believe’...as in make mental assent in agreement. Why you can even profess that you ‘believe in your heart’ these things to be true. And we can talk ourselves blue in the face as to what it really means to ‘believe in your heart’. But can I bypass all that for now and just point you to some more verses like in Romans 8:14 which clearly tells us who the real ‘children of God’ are? They are the ones who are ‘being led by the Spirit of God’.
Being ‘led’ means we are ‘following’, does it not? Did Jesus tell us in John 10:27 “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me”? Psalm 23 tells us the Great Shepherd ‘leads us in the paths of righteousness’(3) which again suggest we are following.
Did Paul not give us another ‘mile marker’ to confirm that ‘IF’ we are indeed walking in the spirit we ‘will not be fulfilling the lust of the flesh”? (Gal. 5:16)
If Jesus said He ‘knows His sheep’, and Paul reminds us that ‘those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh (past tense) with its passions and desires’ (Gal. 5:24) and John tells us that “those who are abiding in Him no longer sin” ( 1 John 3:6)...then there may be good reason to stop at the roadside and at least address the possibility that we have been walking in a ‘form of godliness’ yet...missing out on the power of what Jesus’s gospel really taught.
I get how uncomfortable this kind of talk can be. But did the parable of the ten virgins in Matt. 25 kind of suggest we all ‘fell asleep at the wheel’ so to speak? And then there was a sound of warning? What if this is what God is doing right now in our midst...trying to wake us up and turn us back to His path and get off this wide road where so many are traveling on and headed for destruction. (Matt. 7:13)
I’ve made no attempt to hide or dilute the urgency of the hour and what compels me to share these daily posts. I’m not going to get all emotional and work people up into a frenzy but I’m telling you as humbly and as honestly as I can...God is wanting our undivided attention. This is no small matter...and we better allow Him to capture our hearts and affections before it’s too late. There were a group of those virgins in that parable that finally came around but found that door shut and it was too late. (Matt. 25:10-13)
IF God’s spirit is indeed IN you...there is a very specific direction or ‘route’ He is taking you on. And yes, a cross is involved as well as ‘suffering’ and ‘loss of life’. It may not be a ‘popular’ message, but it is ‘The’ message. I also have to believe if what I share here is 'truth', then that same Spirit will bear witness and confirm in you as well. Hope you come back tomorrow.

Comments
Post a Comment