God first captured my heart when I was a young 20-year-old kid who was trying to find his way in this world. I had very few commitments at the time and was ‘ripe for the picking’ as I like to say.
I have shared my conversion story multiple times over the years as God certainly made Himself very real to me in multiple ways at the beginning. And one of the earlier bible verses that made a deep impact on me as if He was trying to point me on the path the led to life was in Matt 6.
“So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (31-32)
I also want to make mention of another verse that has really stood out to me of late. It is in Galatians 3. I have reflected back on those early days in my walk as a new believer ‘in the Spirit’ as I was learning to follow Jesus and truly ‘seek first His kingdom’. Paul was writing to the Galatians and asked them this: “Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?” (Gal 3:3)
Our pure and sincere walk with Jesus can be hijacked if we are not careful. You do know there are many 'wolves in sheep clothing' out there.
I would imagine that has happened to many of us. And it breaks God’s heart in ways we cannot imagine. But He has seen that happen more than a few times with His people. In fact He warned the Israelites repeatedly of the seriousness and dangers of ‘following after other gods’ as He was going to lead them into the Promised Land. And they did of course with tragic consequences.
If God warns us repeatedly about certain things and we read where it happened to others so often, … why do we think it cannot happen to us?
Well it wasn’t long before my passionate pursuit of God’s kingdom equaled or translated into my commitment and service to a local church. I know those who pastor churches might not appreciate that statement. Been there, Done that. But those lines can get blurred quickly. Believe me.
So what is… this ‘kingdom’ we are told to ‘seek first’? (might spend a day or two on this one)
I can tell you what the ‘kingdom is NOT’.
Paul told the Romans that the ‘kingdom is not a matter of eating and drinking’ (14:17) – it’s not a physical kingdom of physical pleasures.
Rather, he would go on to write: it is a matter of ‘ righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,’
This Kingdom we are admonished to pursue is not physical nor external.
Seems that message has been a hard one for the church to learn. (did I just hear someone say ‘mic drop’? )
Jesus had an interesting discussion with some religious folks on this subject. Luke gives us this account:
Now having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, He replied, “The kingdom of God is not coming with signs to be observed or with a visible display; nor will people say, ‘Look! Here it is!’ or, ‘There it is!’ …For the kingdom of God is among you (or within you) [because of My presence].” (17:20-21 Amp)
We also read in John 18 where Jesus made it quite clear: “My kingdom is not of this world…it is not of this realm or place.”
I’ve always chuckled over a question asked by some of His closer disciples after the resurrection and just before he was to depart in his ascension in Acts 1. One of them asked “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” There is always that one student who must have slept during the lecture that ask questions like that.
Did I mention that this has been a hard message for the church to lay hold of?
I want to close this morning with highlighting one word/phrase from that passage in Matt 6 about seeking the kingdom…that seemed to evade my notice for years. Funny how that happens.
Jesus was talking to the multitudes. He wasn’t telling them to quit their jobs and join a monastery when he addressed how this whole world seems to make it their mission to work and gather up wealth and material things. Been there and done that as well. (well not joining the monastery part)
But He told them that they should seek first the kingdom of God “AND HIS righteousness “.
We sure have a whole lot of different ‘righteousnesses’ out there today being preached. But the righteousness that Jesus was talking about, (doing what is right in God’s eyes) is accompanied by an abundant supply of peace and joy in the Holy Spirit as Paul added in Romans.
If there is anything that seems to be in short supply today in our world, it is peace and joy.
But the odd thing is, we as a society seem to be so busy toiling for the meat that perishes, we don’t even recognize it.
See you tomorrow?
Comments
Post a Comment